Cerebral palsy (CP) is a disability that affects individuals throughout their lifespan. This study was conducted to evaluate the clinical status of adults with cerebral palsy.
A cross-sectional study was carried out during the period of February 2001 to June 2002, in Baghdad, Iraq. Fifty young adult men with cerebral palsy were evaluated by reviewing their medical records and present clinical status.
Antenatal maternal medical problems were recorded in 17 (34%) cases. Kernicterus was the most common possible cause occurring in 14 (28%) cases. Spastic hemiplegia was reported in 16 (32%) patients. Various forms of combinations occured in 14 (28%) cases. Of the secondary disabilities, musculoskeletal disorders were the most common (60%), followed by epilepsy (42%), mental retardation (40%), speech disorders (30%), bladder dysfunction (4%) and visual impairment (2%). Relationships between musculoskeletal deformities and the development of mental retardation were statistically significant (P value 0.0001) .
Adults with CP are at risk of many highly preventable secondary conditions that cause loss of function and deterioration of quality of life.
open-access license: This is an open access article licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/) which permits unrestricted, non-commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the work is properly cited.
* Address correspondence to this author at the Neurology Department Rashid Hospital, P.O. Box 4545, Dubai-UAE; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org